Dartmoor is a must see destination thanks to the release of the popular Spielberg film, War Horse.
The film - released in the UK on 13th January 2012, focuses on the moving story of a Devon farm boy who joins the army to search for his horse Joey after he is sold into the cavalry and shipped to France during the First World War.
Many weeks were spent filming on Dartmoor, with locations including Haytor, Combestone Tor, Venford Reservoir, Meavy and Sheepstor, with the Hollywood director praising the beauty of Dartmoor, saying "I have never before, in my long and eclectic career, been gifted with such an abundance of natural beauty as I experienced filming War Horse on Dartmoor."
Many of the locations are in rural areas but are still within short driving distance of the major centres of Plymouth, Totnes and Exeter, so if you're planning to visit the filming locations, check out our recommended places to stay and eat below:
- Stay at the historic Cridford Inn with its award winning Vanilla Pod restaurant, or if you're looking for something different, check out Yurtcamp Devon, for a glamping experience within easy reach of Haytor.
- Eat at the award winning Riverford Field Kitchen which is just outside Buckfastleigh and within a short distance of Haytor.
Combestone Tor & Venford Reservoir
- Stay at Parkers Farm Holiday Park, which offers stunning views across Dartmoor and is a great site for the whole family to enjoy. Furzeleigh Mill in Buckfasleigh also offers stunning views across the Dart Valley in friendly and cosy surroundings.
- Eat at the Church House Inn, an atmospheric pub close to Totnes but within a short distance of the Moor. You can eat and learn all about cooking at the Asburton Cookery School, located in the centre of the town it is a great fun for all the family.
Meavy & Sheepstor
- Stay at the Grade II Listed Langdon Court Hotel, which offers luxurious accommodaion close to Plymouth and the Moor. For stunning views of Dartmoor and fabulous home cooking, stay at Pithill Farmhouse which is on the edge of Dartmoor. For a great family experience check out Bovisand Lodge Estate, a site offering self catering accommodation at affordable prices.
- Eat at one of the numerous restaurants in Plymouth's historic Barbican area, including Rocky's, the Barbican Kitchen or Tanners.
See the map below showing the filming locations which are all worth a visit, and make sure you watch the stunning trailer for the film below.
View War Horse in a larger map
Fusilier, the War Horse at Pennywell Farm...