|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult||£12.40 per ticket|
|Child 5-14 Years||£7.20 per ticket|
|Family||£35.80 per ticket|
|Senior Citizen||£11.40 per ticket|
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
It has been said by people of 'a certain generation', who have memories of trips to school by train, that the magnificent, snorting steam locomotive at the head of the train was really alive - that it had a heart and soul, and breathed like you and me. Well, if you come to the South Devon Railway at Buckfastleigh, you'll discover that they were probably quite right. The South Devon Railway is a branch line of the former Great Western Railway. Gleaming, historic GWR steam engines haul trains full of enthralled passengers of all ages on a round trip between Buckfastleigh and Totnes. The line passes through some of Devon's most beautiful countryside, hugging the river Dart along almost all of its length - and through countryside rich in wildlife, barely any of which is visible from the road. At Buckfastleigh, there is a riverside walk and picnic area, play area, gardens, a fascinating museum, our workshop and historic steam and diesel engines as well as our well stocked shop and refreshment rooms. There is even a heritage bus service to the town and Buckfast Abbey on some days. Dartmoor Otters & Buckfast Butterflies is adjacent to Buckfastleigh station and you can buy joint tickets for both attractions. Down the line you'll discover sleepy Staverton, where time really has stood still, and on to historic Totnes. Our station here has been rebuilt from buildings and artefacts rescued from all over the west country and is well worth a visit. While you are there, visit the award winning Totnes Rare Breeds Farm, right next door to our station. Joint tickets can be bought. We're also a short walk from the town and main line station. On certain days, a ferry runs to the town from close to our station.
There is plenty of free parking at Buckfastleigh station.
- Accept Children over 7
- Gift Shop
- Groups Accepted - Essential to prebook.
- In countryside
- No Smoking Attraction
- Outdoor Attraction
- Accessible to Wheelchair Users
- All Areas Accessible to Disabled Visitors
- Facilities for Hearing Impaired Visitors
- Facilities for the Disabled
- Facilities for Visually Impaired Visitors - call for details
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Parking Areas for Disabled Visitors
- Ramp/Level Access
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors
Children & Infants
- Accept Children Over 3
Parking & Transport
- Coach Parking
- On Bus Route
- On site parking
- Parking (free)
- On-Site café/restaurant - Cafe, for approximately 100 people at Buckfastleigh.
- Picnic Site
- Blue Badge Guides admitted free
- Can be packages by 3rd parties
- Delta accepted
- JCB accepted
- Maestro accepted
- MasterCard accepted
- Max group size - call for details
- Min group size - call for details
- Solo accepted
- Special group rates
- Sterling Travellers Cheques accepted
- Visa accepted
- Available for wedding receptions
- Dogs Accepted
- Tea / Coffee Shop
- Family Fun
- Marketed towards children
- Marketed towards families
- Marketed towards senior citizens
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
Map & Directions
Buckfastleigh station, where there is ample car parking is on the A38, midway between Exeter and Plymouth.
Public Transport Directions
Rail - Totnes national rail station is a less than 500 yard walk from our station at Totnes.
Bus to Buckfastleigh - 88, X38, buses stop at Buckfastleigh station.
Bus to Totnes - 88, X64, X80/81, 164, 606 buses stop at Totnes mainline station.
- Regional and Miscellaneous Devon's Top Attractions Quality Stamp 2015
|Open New Year|
|Open (01/03/2015 - 19/07/2015)|
|Open (20/07/2015 - 30/08/2015)|
|Open (31/08/2015 - 31/10/2015)|
* Special timetables run at certain times of year. Santa-by-Steam trains run in December, with further trains over the new year period. See the website for more details.