Top 10 Beaches
Listing the Top 10 Beaches in South Devon is a difficult task! Everyone wants something different from the beach, be it peace and quiet, water sports or family fun.
Here's our list of top 10 beaches. Some of them are quiet retreats whereas others are busier with a range of attractions nearby. We hope that the information we have provided below on what is available at each beach helps you to decide which will be the best beach in South Devon for you.
- Bantham Beach - This beach is long and sandy with water shallow enough for children to swim safely, and lively enough for water sports enthusiasts further out. There is plenty to do and to see here.
- Beesands - A busy, vibrant pebble beach still used by local fishermen. With stunning views out towards Start Bay.
- Bigbury on Sea - An excellent, award-winning sandy beach, with stunning views of Burgh Island and the South Hams coastline.
- Blackpool Sands - Blue Flag beach, and one of the most stunning in the whole region. A large, beach surrounded by evergreen trees.
- Dawlish Warren - Dawlish Warren is great for wildlife enthusiasts and families looking for a large beach and who want to join in with local events and festivals. There are also traditional amusement arcades and refreshments at this beach.
- East Portlemouth - Perfect for people wanting to enjoy a day of peace and quiet this sandy beach is situated on the estuary opposite Salcombe.
- Mothecombe – Peaceful, quiet and unspoilt beach owned by the Flete Estate and only open to the public on certain days of the week. Check the Flete Estate website for details.
- Ness Cove, Shaldon – A secluded, rugged beach backed by dramatic red cliffs and accessed via an original smugglers tunnel. Children will love it.
- South Milton Sands - A beautiful beach for a traditional holiday, ideal for rock pooling and beachcombing, it’s also the perfect location for snorkelling, scuba diving and windsurfing. Seal and dolphins are regular visitors to the shore.
- Teignmouth - A long, family friendly beach overlooked by the impressive Victorian pier, with large children’s play area, skate park and crazy golf nearby.