Top 10 Beaches
Trying to list the top 10 beaches in South Devon is a difficult task for anyone. Every holidaymaker wants something different from their beach, whether it’s peace and quiet, water sports or family fun. However, we’ve put together a list of our top 10 beaches (in no particular order), based on all those criteria. You’ll find that some will be quiet retreats whereas others will be busy and stacked with attractions. The choice of which of these top 10 beaches you visit depends entirely on what you want from your downtime.
Top 10 Beaches
1. Bantham Beach - This beach is long and sandy with water shallow enough for the kids to swim safely, and lively enough for water sports enthusiasts further out. Plenty to do and plenty to see.
2. Dawlish Warren - Already voted one of the Top 10 Beaches by the Times, Dawlish is great for wildlife enthusiasts and families who want to join in local events and festivals.
3. Teignmouth - A long family beach overlooked by the impressive Victorian pier.
4. Mothecombe - Another quiet beach, but with facilities if you fancy learning a water sport.
5. South Milton Sands - A beautiful beach for a traditional holiday. There’s plenty of facilities for snorkelling and scuba diving, but not much for surfers. Seal and dolphins are regular visitors to the shore.
6. Beesands - A busy, vibrant beach with plenty going on for water sports enthusiasts and fishermen.
7. East Portlemouth - Perfect for families who want to enjoy peace and quiet, but still want access to water sports and nearby attractions.
8. Blackpool Sands - Blue Flag beach, and one of the most stunning in the whole region.
9. Bigbury - An excellent, award-winning beach with superb facilities for disabled visitors.
10.Shaldon - Great for family holidays. All the sea and sand you could wish for and close to all the major attractions and local festivals.